Natural Gas

© Margo_Alexa | Adobe Stock

Natural Gas

Header Image by © Margo_Alexa / Adobe Stock

Stay safe at home. Today let’s take a look at natural gas exposure. Natural gas is primarily made up of methane which is relatively inert, but HIGHLY FLAMMABLE. The main effects are secondary to oxygen displacement when found at high levels in the air (asphyxia). Methane also acts as a mild anesthetic. Though rare, there have been case reports of ARDS secondary to methane inhalation.

Signs/Symptoms: Headaches, dizziness, nausea/vomiting, weakness, loss of coordination. Skin contact with liquified natural gas can result in frostbite.

If you smell a gas leak- Open doors and windows, Do not turn on or off any electrical appliances, don’t light matches/cigarettes/stove, LEAVE HOUSE AND CALL 911.

Additional Reading: Fire Department, City of New York Fire Safety Education - Natural Gas Infographic

Leave your comment
Your email address will not be published

© 2024 North American Rescue, LLC. All rights reserved. All training services are offered by NAR Training, LLC. Site last updated 02/23/2024.
Terms & Conditions | EULA/Terms of Use | Supplier Terms